"By proving contraries, truth is made manifest."
-- Joseph Smith


Monday, December 28, 2009

Reasons: Establishing the Tone

...I will reason as with men in days of old, and I will show unto you my strong reasoning. Wherefore, hearken ye together and let me show unto you even my wisdom--the wisdom of him whom ye say is the God of Enoch, and his brethren.... Wherefore, hearken and I will reason with you, and I will speak unto you and prophesy, as unto men in days of old.
-- Doctrine and Covenants 45: 1-11, 15


To immerse yourself in a subject is a dangerous thing, especially when that subject is a part of your core belief systems. To strive to understand such a subject in depth can often lead to a de-mystification process, a debunking of myths, an all out re-ordering of your world view and precious beliefs. However, it can also lead to deepening understanding; a more mature and seasoned perspective; a soulful engagement, a deeper love. Both sides of the spectrum have defined my relationship with my faith in Mormonism (what I consider the Restored Gospel of Christ) the past several years. An "agony and ecstasy" of putting aside cultural imperfections, while entwining myself like ivy even more to the trunk of the tree.

This blog is coming out of me as a response to the struggles of my friends and loved ones who have wrestled with the Mormon faith. Some were born in the Church, but have since left it quietly. Some have left the Church, and then turned fiercely against it. Some stay within the Church, but struggle in silent desperation as they try to find a way to keep alive or re-kindle their old belief, despite what they may see as contradictions or hypocrisies. Some investigated the Church because of an initial interest or spiritual experience, but then for one reason or another lost that momentum. Some are strongly believing members who simply struggle with some doctrine or policy, while others have never had anything but an antagonistic relationship to the Church. I hope to engage with many people within this wide spectrum of experience. I don't expect to entirely convince everyone of my believer's perspective, but I do believe that I'm equipped to at least start a deeper dialogue about Mormonism, whether one chooses to believe it or not. Thus I have created this blog to engage those who have some sort of relationship to Mormonism and desire to understand the perspective of a believer, even if they are essentially not a believer themselves. Whether one is an orthodox Latter-day Saint, a secular atheist, an Evangelical, a Muslim, a member of an off shoot of Mormonism, an inactive Mormon (or a former one), a neo-pagan, or anything else, I hope that one could find something of value from understanding the world view of this believing Mormon.

This is not necessarily a proselyting blog (although I certainly wouldn't mind if people came to embrace Mormonism more fully because of it either). Yet I do hope that it will at least help people understand why an academically minded, intelligent, compassionate, tolerant and spiritual person might believe in the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith and the "restored Gospel," without relegating such a person to a member of a deranged cult or under the influence of a misguided delusion. I've strived to immerse myself in Church History, doctrine, culture, art and spirituality the past several years and have had to encounter for myself the difficulties and glories of being a Mormon. So I'm coming from a relatively informed position, having had to discard many of my more simplistic models of Mormonism. This, I believe, has deepened my faith, while still giving me room to understand and empathize with those who do not believe.

I don't plan to sugar coat any of my entries... this is as much of a journey as an explanation, a chronicle of struggles as well as a declaration of belief. As a playwright, as an amateur Mormon Historian, as a inquisitive mind, and as an intense spiritual seeker, I've had to ask myself the hard questions to center myself as a faithful Mormon. The intricasies of Church History, of former practices such as racial exclusion or polygamy, of current controversies, or of personal heartaches, are not new or superficial subject matter to me. Anyone who has seen my plays knows that I do not shy away from difficult questions. However, in the end, I believe that God answers the difficult questions, which, in the end, is why I'm a believer.

In this blog, I will chronicle that belief. Many of the entries will be more academic, while others will be intensely personal and spiritual. I will talk about books, history, culture, art, dreams and what I consider to be intimately spiritual manifestations. What I may write about may make some people uncomfortable. What I may write about may make people think that I'm absolutely, raving mad. But I'm going to take that risk. Because if I can at least bring some understanding to the WHY of my belief, then I will feel a certain level of accomplishment. I hope that my position will be respected, as I've tried to respect the positions of others. So I hope all comments and dialogue will remain civil, kind and engaging. Contention is not what I want from this, but rather a manifestation of my faith. In the end I think we all hope to be understood:

For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth wisdom; truth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own...
--Doctrine and Covenant 88:40

12 comments:

  1. Welcome, my friend, to the surprisingly large yet largely quiet group of people who have looked the hard questions in the face and have had their testimonies strengthened rather than dashed. I am happy to anticipate that you will not remain largely quiet.

    The full and complete gospel of Jesus Christ does not wither in the glare of criticism, learned or otherwise. Neither is it damaged nor diminished by the failings and foibles of its imperfect adherents. The Chief Cornerstone can indeed become a stumbling block to any to choose to make it so, but the Stone itself is neither moved nor sullied when that happens.

    Mormon culture, on the other hand, is, like everything else wholly of this mortal sphere, ripe for some corrective scrutiny.

    I look forward to reading, pondering, and sharing with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog title and this first post seem reminiscent of the life and work of Eugene England. As I read this, I was especially reminded of his short essay, "The Possibility of Dialogue," which has had a significant impact on my own intellectual engagement with Mormonism. I'm happy to see another inquiring mind publicly taking up such an effort and as one striving to do the same, I look forward to engaging in the faith journey with you here.

    One question that cropped up in my reading: what do mean by "simplistic models of Mormonism"? The term seems somewhat disparaging of those who, for whatever reason, haven't chosen or been able to live the examined religious life. What do you intend by the phrase? (Just wondering.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read your blog as you update!

    I have a strong testimony, I have not gone on the same journey as you have. Because of that, I am ignorant about some things, as well as having a hard time with a few principles. However, I believe as you do, that even though there are difficult questions, the Lord will answer them. I strongly believe that; things are in His hands.

    I love this church! What a great idea for a blog.

    Michael and I miss you Honri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tyler,

    I would like to address your question, "what do mean by "simplistic models of Mormonism"?" Now obviously I don't speak for Mr. Stewart, but I would like to engage with you and anyone else about what this could mean.

    When I read this quote from Mahonri's text what it meant to me was that the author is acknowledging the fact that the journey and the point of view each individual takes within Mormonism is subject to a kind of spiritual evolution. More simply put; A child's view of both the gospel and of the church is in fact a "simplistic model."

    I would argue that It is both healthy and necessary for development, that during the life of any individual who grows up LDS there should be a series of changes in how the person views said model. If these changes do not occur, then the person could be (and I use the word ironically) damned to a simplistic model view of Mormonism.

    When we look at the phrase "simplistic model" now in this context and we go back to read the paragraph it was used in, it becomes clear that Mr Stewart's own journey through Mormonism has endured a number of challenges and reconstructions, as any healthy adult should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To everyone:

    If this thread and attitude on Mormonism interests you and if you want to continue your own personal spiritual education, then I invite you to also participate in the discussion on my blog right across the hall from Mr Stewart's! Same rules apply; Tough questions, respectful debate, and lets all be good to one another.

    I've prepared what I hope is an enlightening conversation at the top of my December blog post.

    ~Jeremy Minagro

    http://jjminagro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next up on my list of books to read is Richard Bushman's "Rough Stone Rolling" and I welcome that book and this blog as a chance to deepen my faith, not undermine it by open discussion of "uncomfortable" issues. (You may want to enable comment moderation, Honri.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janel, _Rough Stone Rolling_ is one of my FAVORITE books! It's so nice to see how Church has warmed up to books like that and the recent Mountain Meadows Massacre book... it shows a very mature outlook on our history. It's also so nice to see that my other friends have blogs as well, which I hope to keep consistent tabs on. Thanks for reading, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tyler, Jeremy is pretty close in what he interprets by what I say in "simplistic models of Mormonism," in that I'm talking personally, not universally. I'm talking about how _I_ used to see the Church, which just doesn't work anymore because I grew up and saw that I was a well meaning, but sometimes ignorant kid when it came to the Lord's ways. In no way am I calling into question what models others use. I think you're right, I could have worded that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I however, will gleefully call into question what models others use. Mahonris got tact covered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, whats on the menu to be discussed?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to following this along and, with hope, strengthening my own evolving testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Not to seem impatient, but let's see another post!I'm very anxious to learn. Sorry, we always ask too much of you Mahonri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotcha, Mahonri. I was just curious what you intended by the phrase and didn't want to impose my own meaning there. Rereading your sentence today, I see that I may have missed the pronoun in my earlier reading: "my simplistic models." That, plus your and Jeremy's response, made things more clear. Thanks for the response.

    ReplyDelete